Sponsors

Your Ad Here

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Comparative Advertising : A bad habit

In this post, I am putting light on aspects of comparative advertising when it is done before targeted audience and before common audience.

We have already discussed few aspects of negative advertising in blog post about conflict between P&G and Hindustan Unilever. This time I am trying to throw some light on comparative advertising. Comparative advertising may or may not be a negative one.

Consider an example, I have a product , say a computer modem . My competitor also sells modem. Modem is something you won't find in television or electronic advertisements. We find their ads only in tech and computer related magazines. So , how a modem company should promote its product with comparative advertising.

The example of modem suits the case of comparative advertising as viewership is targeted. As a modem firm( I dont have, just for an example) I am more interested in advertising at a place where comparison is healthy and readers are educated of the subject. Like I can easily compare features of my product with my competitor's with data.

But what if my product is a car or say a television. So , if I fit the analogy of my modem advertisement in my television advertisement,the consequence would be :

Audience is not going to get a good brand image of my product as comparing stats is not considered a good habit among audience. A common man always thinks the data and survey are this company's internal matter and they can modify. Second , I unnecessarily attract competitor's attraction for a possible rivalry or may be a possible brand deterioration campaign by him.
One most important factor is, one can't build a brand image by deteriorating others value.And comparing is inviting competitor to come up with back logs of your products before public.


Comparing was okey when it comes to category specific audience like a medical machine to be advertised in an doctor's journal. Because when it comes to targeted audience, they have a depth of subject and they know the true meaning of comparison data being provided by you.And as far today, such comparisons are considered healthy as they give audience an overview of what your product provides in addition to others. However chances are high, target may think he don't need whatever extra you are providing , so he may want to go for compared one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment